Purpose & Evaluations
Carver County partnered with MnDOT and the City of Norwood Young America to conduct a transportation study for the State Highway 5/25, County Highway 33/Reform Street, and US 212 area. This intersection is considered a priority in the County Highway Safety plan. The study began in April 2018 and included the evaluation of intersection alternatives at the State Highway 5/25 and County Highway 33 intersection to address the existing intersection safety issues. A roundabout option was identified as the preferred alternative. The study also looked at the surrounding area, specifically Reform Street North.
Additional evaluation was completed on the selected roundabout layout to consider how this project would interact with MnDOT’s 2020 programmed improvements for US 212.
Goals & Objectives
- Improve driver safety at the State Highway 5/25 and County Highway 33 intersection
- Improve traffic flow at the State Highway 5/25, County Highway 33 intersection as well as the State Highway 5/25, US 212 intersection
- Maintain adequate intersection and access spacing
- Plan for future growth in Norwood Young America
Current Traffic Impacts
Highway 33 north of Highway 5/25 is closed to through traffic until November 2020, see Phase 1 detour map below.
Stay tuned for further closure and detour updates.
What to Expect
Visit the Project Site for more information: www.mndot.gov/metro/projects/hwy212nya
- Closures of Highway 33 and Highway 5/25 to complete the construction of the roundabout. See maps and detour routes below for various projects staging.
- This project is being constructed concurrently with the Highway 212 Norwood Young America improvements in partnership with MnDOT.
Maps & Detour Routes
Anticipated Project Schedule
Construction began June 8 and is scheduled through November 2020.
Reports & Documents
Check back soon for additional information.