The Lyman Boulevard (Highway 18) corridor in the Cities of Chaska and Chanhassen is a main arterial road running through Carver County. This project reconstructs the last segment of Lyman Boulevard, between Highway 41 and Powers Boulevard, needed to support the Chanhassen High School and growth in eastern Carver County.
Purpose & Evaluations
Carver County, in partnership with MnDOT and the Cities of Chanhassen and Chaska, are working together to develop and implement the preferred alternative for Lyman Boulevard. The major objectives include modernization, capacity and safety improvements along approximately 1-mile of Lyman Boulevard from Highway 41 to Galpin Boulevard. The proposed project will upgrade the roadway capacity at the intersections of Lyman Boulevard at Highway 41 and Peavey Road by removing the existing traffic signal and constructing multi-lane roundabouts at each intersection. The roundabout design minimizes the Lyman Boulevard cross section, between Highway 41 and Peavey Road, resulting in less impacts to existing parking lots and businesses.
Goals & Objectives
This project will ease traffic congestion and address growing safety concerns along Lyman Boulevard including the Peavey Road and Norex Drive intersections. By removing the side-street stop control at both intersections, there will be improved traffic operations well into the future. A key trail connection and ADA compatible pedestrian facilities will be completed with this project that will connect existing trail systems between the Cities of Chaska and Chanhassen.
As part of the project, a number of technical evaluations were conducted to identify existing and future issues associated with:
- Mobility / Congestion
- Pedestrian/Bicycle Connectivity
- Infrastructure Needs
Current Traffic Impacts
This project is in the design phase. No traffic impacts at this time.
What to Expect
This project is in the design phase. No upcoming activities.
This project is in the design phase. No community impacts at this time.
Maps & Detour Routes
Lyman Boulevard between Highway 41 and Galpin Boulevard will be closed from May to August 2019 for construction. The detour is Highway 41 to Highway 5 to Galpin Boulevard to Lyman Boulevard.
Anticipated Project Schedule
June thru December 2018: Construction Plan Development and Right of Acquisition
- Possible utility relocations for overhead power and gas main
Early May 2019:
- Construction begins
- Lyman Boulevard closes to traffic between Highway 41 and Galpin Boulevard, use detour route.
- Highway 41 open to traffic
- Lyman Boulevard closed to traffic between Highway 41 and Galpin Boulevard, use detour route.
- Highway 41 open to traffic
- Lyman Boulevard reopens to traffic from Peavey Road to Galpin Boulevard
- Highway 41 closes to traffic between Peavey Road and 82nd Street, use detour route
- Highway 41 reopens to traffic
October – November 2019:
- Completion of final construction work activities
- Landscaping work along the project completed between Highway 41 and Norex Drive
Reports & Documents
Check back soon!