Carver County is making upgrades to Lyman Blvd from Highway 41 to Galpin Blvd in the cities of Chaska and Chanhassen.
Highway 18/Lyman Blvd. is a main arterial road for the local community and connector for area businesses. This project will ease traffic congestion and address growing safety concerns for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians at the intersections of Lyman Blvd at Highway 41, Peavey Rd, and Norex Drive by removing the existing traffic signal or stop signs and constructing a roundabout at each intersection.
Construction will begin in Spring 2020, weather and schedule permitting.
Area improvements include:
- Better area traffic flow
- Improved access to local businesses and for residents by minimizing highway crossings in the area
- Pedestrian/bicycle crossing and accessibility upgrades at the intersections of Lyman Blvd at Highway 41 and Peavey Rd
- Trail connections to existing trail systems between Chaska and Chanhassen
Current Traffic Impacts
No current traffic impacts at this time.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts
Monday, March 30 through mid-April
- Shoulder closure on southbound Highway 41 immediately south Lyman Blvd.
- Lane closure on eastbound Lyman Blvd between Highway 41 and Peavey Road.
- The contractor will be using a flagger to direct traffic on the west side of Highway 41 when the watermain is installed across Lyman Blvd.
Road work, including closures and detours, are anticipated to begin in mid to late April.
The contractor will be starting work in the area on Monday, March 30, weather and schedule permitting. This work will include tree clearing project-wide, other site prepping and watermain work.
What to Expect
- Traffic impacts, road closures and detours during construction
- Businesses will remain open and accessible during construction
- Temporary route changes to some businesses to get around road closures
- No planned nighttime or weekend work hours at this time.
Anticipated Project Schedule
- Construction equipment and materials arrive on site
- Construction begins
- Tree clearing
- Site prepping
- Watermain work
May through July:
- Hwy 41/Lyman Blvd intersection is closed to traffic
- Detour uses Pioneer Trail, Audubon Rd, Lyman Blvd, Galpin Blvd, Hwy 5 and Hwy 41. See map.
- The intersection will be constructed in segments and may not be fully closed to traffic when the work starts
- Businesses west of Hwy 41 will use a temporary local access road when the southern portion of the intersection is closed. Otherwise, employees and visitors will use temporary lanes to move through the Hwy 41/Lyman Blvd intersection while it’s under construction
- Lyman Blvd. from Hwy 41 to Norex Dr. is closed to traffic
August through Mid October:
- Lyman Blvd. from Peavey Rd. to Galpin Blvd. is closed
- Detour uses Galpin Blvd, Hwy 5 and Hwy 41. See map.
- Finishing touches completed throughout the project area