When it comes time to clean out your household storage, remember the old adage: one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Many people throw out items that would be useful to others. This disregard for stuff leaves our garbage cans full and others wanting (or buying) the very things that are being thrown away!
If you don’t have the time or ability to sell your unwanted things, consider donating them to a charitable organization so that they may be used rather than thrown in the trash. From books to unused canned goods, there are many organizations throughout the Twin Cities metro area that would happily take your unwanted, usable things to help others. Because your donations help them operate, they make it very easy to donate-some have drive-through drop-off sites and some even offer curb-side pick-up at your home.
Some ideas to help you get started!
• Check with your local library; many accept donations of books.
• Charitable organizations like The Salvation Army and Goodwill take clothing, household goods, and some furniture.
• Some women’s and homeless shelters accept used work clothes for clients going on job interviews.
• Unwanted non-perishable food can be donated to a local food shelf.
• Usable cell phones, electronics, and old CDs, DVDs and even VHS tapes can be donated for soldiers or shelters.
Some LOCAL resources!
Useable Household Goods
• Environmental Center – Chaska
• Epilepsy Foundation – County Wide
• Goodwill – Chanhassen, Chaska & Shakopee
• Hope Chest for Breast Cancer – Wayzata
• Love INC of Eastern Carver County – Chaska
• Lupis Pickup Service – County Wide
• Rural Recycling Drop-Off Sites – Cologne, Mayer & NYA
• Scott & Carver CAP Agency – Shakopee
• The ATHC Attic Thrift and Gift – Watertown
• Usagain Collection Sites – County Wide
• Vietnam Veterans of America Donation – County Wide
• Friends for Life Food Shelf, (952) 955-1980 – Watertown
• Waconia United Food Shelf, (952) 442-3878 – Waconia
• Southwest Carver County Food Shelf, (952) 467-1870 – NYA
• Bountiful Basket Food Shelf – Chaska
• People Reaching Out to People (PROP) – Chanhassen
• Boy Scouts of America – Scouting for Food One Day Food Drive
• USPS – Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive