PLEASE NOTE: Residents from the following counties may utilize the Environmental Center and Carver County Collection Events for material disposal: Anoka County, Carver County, Dakota County, Hennepin County, McLeod County, Ramsey County, Scott County, and Washington County. Please be prepared to present your driver's license upon arrival. Residents living in counties not listed here should contact their county for disposal options.
Location and Directions
116 Peavey Circle
Chaska, MN 55318
South on Hwy 41 from Hwy 5:
Go through two signal lights. Take a left on Peavey Road and the next right on Peavey Circle. The Environmental Center will be on your left.
North on Hwy 41 from 212:
Take the first right (Peavey Road) after Hazeltine Blvd. Take another right on Peavey Circle. The Environmental Center will be on your left.
Hours of Operation
Summer Hours: April through November
Wednesdays: 12pm - 7pm
Thursdays: 12pm - 6pm
Fridays: 10am - 4pm
Saturdays: 8am - 12pm
Winter Hours: December through March
Wednesdays: 12pm - 7pm
Thursdays: 11am - 5pm
Saturdays: 8am - 12pm
The Environmental Center will be CLOSED on the following dates in 2020:
Sat.1/18, Sat. 2/15, Sat.4/11, Sat. 5/23, Fri. 7/3, Sat. 7/4, Sat. 9/5, Wed. 11/11, Thur. 11/26, Fri. 11/27, Sat. 11/28, Thur. 12/24, Sat. 12/26
Please note: the Carver County Environmental Center may close without advance notice under certain circumstances, including but not limited to: the likelihood of bad or dangerous weather, a power outage, or a mechanical breakdown of vital safety or operational equipment (note: “bad or dangerous weather” might include a Blizzard Warning, Winter Storm Warning, or Wind Chill Warning being issued by the National Weather Service). In the event that an unannounced closing occurs, the Environmental Center will then attempt to reopen for the next scheduled operational day. We will also try to place notification on our web site as soon as possible.
Preparing for your Trip to the Environmental Center
- If you are bringing Household Hazardous Waste (HHW), such as paint, chemicals, cleaning products, used oil, etc., please place these products into boxes, tubs, or other rigid containers.
- Do not place your items into large trash bags. All materials must be easily visible, so that workers can quickly identify what they are.
- Please keep in mind that those materials (HHW) will be the first to be unloaded when you arrive at the Environmental Center (EC), so make sure they are readily accessible - not buried under or behind other materials (appliances, electronics, etc) in your vehicle.
- Please segregate your materials into the following categories, and place each category into separate boxes or bins, to prevent breakage and/or contamination: Fluorescent Lamps, Household Hazardous Waste, Batteries, etc (for example, do not place CFL bulbs and batteries into the same box or bucket).
Instructions for Dropping Off Materials
- If you have any large bulky items (such as appliances, mattresses, carpeting, large televisions, scrap metal, etc), please remember to bring someone with you for help with unloading those heavy items.
- When you arrive at the EC, please follow the signs and proceed to the check in area under the canopy. Stop at the stop signs, where attendants will verify residency, collect payments and provide further instruction. Please remain in your vehicle until given further instructions.
- Please have your driver’s license and payment ready as you approach the attendants. Remember, the Environmental Center accepts cash, checks and/or credit cards (make your checks out to “Carver County”).
Items Accepted at NO CHARGE
- Batteries (automotive & all household)
- Cartridges (inkjet & printer)
- Clothing, Shoes, & Usable Goods
- Cooking Oil (vegetable, peanut, canola, olive, soybean, corn, & sunflower)
- Household Hazardous Waste
- latex paint, oil-based paint, paint remover, stripper, thinner, stain, varnish, aerosol cans, mercury thermometers & thermostats, household cleaners, bug killer, fertilizer, pesticides, weed killer, propane tanks, gasoline
- all food products including meat & bones, coffee grounds, non-recyclable paper such as pizza boxes, paper towels, paper plates, and paper napkins
- General Recyclables (please breakdown & flatten cardboard)
- Fibers (brown grocery bags, beer & soda cases, cake & snack boxes, cardboard [non-waxed], catalogs, cereal boxes, magazines, office/school paper [all colors], junk mail, newspaper & inserts, telephone books and other soft cover books, pizza delivery boxes, broth boxes, drink boxes, juice cartons, milk cartons)
- Plastics (berry containers, juice containers, milk jugs, plastic containers #1 & #2, plastics #3-#7 with a screw top, water bottles, yogurt tubs, butter tubs)
- Metal & Glass (aluminum cans, empty aerosol cans [non-toxic & no caps], metal household items [cooking pots & pans], steel food cans, tin & other household metals, beer bottles, glass containers that contained food or beverage product, all colored glass [brown, green and clear]
- Residential Electronics (excluding TVs & monitors)
- CPU, laptop, printer, scanner, keyboard, mouse, VCR and DVD players, CD players, stereo, speakers
- Residential Fluorescent Bulbs (maximum of 25 bulbs)
- Scrap Metal (all non metal material must be removed)
- Used Motor Oil, Filters & Antifreeze (5 gal containers or smaller)
Items Accepted for a FEE
AS OF JANUARY 1, 2019, BRUSH AND YARD WASTE IS NO LONGER ACCEPTED AT THE ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER
- Appliances - $10.00
- Refrigerator, dishwasher, air conditioner, stove, microwave, water softener, water heater, washer, dryer, dehumidifier
- Appliances (commercial) - $2.00/cubic ft
- Appliances (gas/ammonia)
- Ammonia Refrigerators <4ft tall - $150.00
- Ammonia Refrigerators >4ft tall - $300.00
- Ammonia Air Conditioners - $800.00
- Batteries (business) - $0.25/pound
- Bicycles - $3.00
- Carpeting - $15.00 (12' x 12', must be clean and dry. Padding is accepted)
- Electronics (business) - $0.50/pound
- Electronics (residential TVs & monitors)
- TVs and monitors - $10.00
- Large TVs - $20.00 (30" or larger screen, measured diagonally, and all console sets)
- Fluorescent Bulbs (business) (over 50 please call ahead)
- 4 ft and under - $0.40
- Greater than 4 ft - $0.75
- Compact (CFLs) - $0.60
- Irregular shape - $1.00
- HID - $2.30
- High Pressure HG - $12.00
- Broken - $2.14/pound
- Ballasts - $0.99/pound
- Lawnmowers/small engine devices - $5.00 (drain all fluids)
- Mattress/Box Spring - $35.00/each (must be clean, dry, and free of bugs)
- Car, truck, SUV - $3.00
- Semi - $15.00
- Farm (small) front - $4.00
- Farm (large) rear - $50.00
- Treadmills - $10.00
Items NOT ACCEPTED
- Furniture, trash/garbage, porcelain toilets and sinks, construction & demolition debris, business hazardous waste, plastic bags & film, brush & yard waste, auto glass, ceramics, dishware, drinking glasses, extension cords, garden hoses, glass bakeware/cookware [Pyrex], medical waste, mirror glass, needles & syringes, plastic tarps,styrofoam, window glass, shredded paper