Motor Vehicles

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following services are available at both the Chaska License Center and at the Chanhassen Service Center:   

  • Registration/Tab Renewal for cars, trucks, trailers, and motorcycles
  • New-to-State Registrations
  • Title Transfers for all motor vehicles and mobile homes.
  • Wheelage Tax Information

 Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services offers forms for motor vehicle transactions.

New Insurance Requirement: Effective January 1, 2016, insurance information must be provided at the time of registration renewal, title transfer or application for new Minnesota title/registration. 

Registration Renewal

For registration renewal, submit the renewal notice.  If the renewal notice was lost or not received, the applicant must provide the vehicle license plate number and current driver's license or ID card so the staff can access state records and issue your tabs.  The vehicle must be in your name to purchase tabs. If the vehicle is not registered in your name you will need a power of attorney form or an authorization form from our office signed by the registered owner of the vehicle. Fees vary according to classification and year of vehicle.

New-to-State Registration

Applicants must submit the foreign state title or current registration if the title is unavailable.  Applicants need to provide the following information:

  • Current odometer reading
  • Driver's license or state-issued identification card
  • Name and address of lending institution
  • If leasing, a copy of the lease agreement or a power-of-attorney from the leasing company and the company's Minnesota Tax ID number
If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan. The owner's signature is required on the Minnesota Title Application.

Transfer of Minnesota Title

The seller must complete the following information on the Title Certificate:

  • Date of sale
  • Odometer statement
  • Damage and emissions disclosure statements
  • Signature(s)
The buyer must present the following:
  • Title Certificate as completed by the seller
  • Drivers license or state issued identification card

Transfer of Out-of-State Title

The buyer must present the following:

  • Completed Certificate of Title
  • Complete name, birth date and address (must be current address)
  • Driver's license number
  • Lenders name and address and loan date (if applicable)

Wheelage Tax

Driver and Vehicle Services collects a $20 wheelage tax for vehicles kept in Carver County.  The collected tax can only be used for improvements to roads and bridges.  For additional information on the wheelage tax visit the Q & A section or call the Chaska License Center at (952) 361-1900 or the Chanhassen Service Center at (952) 361-3900. 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer