License Center - Chaska
Service Center - Chanhassen
Land Records/Tax Forfeiture
Property Assessment &
- Registration/Tab Renewal for cars, trucks, trailers, and motorcycles
- New-to-State Registrations
- Title Transfers for all motor vehicles and mobile homes.
- Wheelage Tax Information
Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services offers forms for motor vehicle transactions.
Insurance information must be provided at the time of registration renewal, title transfer or application for new Minnesota title/registration.
For registration renewal, submit the renewal notice. If the renewal notice was lost or not received, the applicant must provide the vehicle license plate number and current driver's license or ID card so the staff can access state records and issue your tabs. The vehicle must be in your name to purchase tabs. If the vehicle is not registered in your name you will need a power of attorney form or an authorization form from our office signed by the registered owner of the vehicle. Fees vary according to classification and year of vehicle.
Applicants must submit the foreign state title or current registration if the title is unavailable. Applicants need to provide the following information:
- Current odometer reading
- Driver's license or state-issued identification card
- Name and address of lending institution
- If leasing, a copy of the lease agreement or a power-of-attorney from the leasing company and the company's Minnesota Tax ID number
Transfer of Minnesota Title
The seller must complete the following information on the Title Certificate:
- Date of sale
- Odometer statement
- Damage and emissions disclosure statements
- Title Certificate as completed by the seller
- Drivers license or state issued identification card
The buyer must present the following:
- Completed Certificate of Title
- Complete name, birth date and address (must be current address)
- Driver's license number
- Lenders name and address and loan date (if applicable)
Driver and Vehicle Services collects a $20 wheelage tax for vehicles kept in Carver County. The collected tax can only be used for improvements to roads and bridges.