Children with Special Needs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

All young children grow and learn at their own pace, but some children experience delays in their development. It is important that children receive intervention services as early as possible to ensure the best developmental outcomes.

Help Me Grow is an interagency initiative of the State of Minnesota that provides resources for families to look at developmental milestones, to learn if there are concerns, to take the lead in seeking additional support, or in referring their child for a comprehensive, confidential screening or evaluation at no cost.

Carver County Public Health nurses provide home visits and referral services to Child doing Handstandfamilies that have children with special health needs resulting from developmental or physical disabilities, or chronic or infectious diseases. Free information, support, and referral services are provided for young children who may be experiencing these delays. If you have questions about how a child is learning, listening, playing, hearing, talking, moving, or seeing, call Help Me Grow of Carver County at (952) 567-8210, or visit

Carver County children from birth to 5 years, if found eligible, can receive services in their home, childcare setting, or school. These services are free regardless of income or immigrant status. Help Me Grow of Carver County assists parents in accessing and planning for services, such as:

  • Screening and Developmental Evaluation Early Intervention Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Early Childhood Special Education
  • Family Education
  • Respite Care
  • Social Services
  • Nursing Services
  • Behavior Services