The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), and Carver County Public Health, locally, are monitoring novel (new) coronavirus very carefully.
We continue to believe the immediate risk of coronavirus exposure to the general public is low, however, CDC, MDH and Carver County Public Health are undertaking measures to help keep that risk low. We have plans in place and are updating these in real time as information becomes available.
CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China.
- If you must travel:
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Check out CDC’s Travel Notices: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/
- Discuss travel to China with your healthcare provider. Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues may be at risk for more severe disease.
- Avoid animals (alive or dead), animal markets, and products that come from animals (such as uncooked meat).
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
It is cold and influenza season. This is a new agent that can cause respiratory illness. There is a lot of overlap. Symptoms of concern associated with travel or contact with a person who traveled are what should be evaluated for this virus.