Cash Programs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP):

The Minnesota Family Investment Program is a program that helps families transition into economic stability. Most families have to exhaust the 4 months of DWP prior to transitioning to this program. The MFIP grant includes a cash and food portion. While on this program, parents are expected to work and also have to work with employment services. If parents do not meet the expectations of the program benefits may be reduced. MFIP has a 60 month lifetime limit, and only certain families can qualify for an extension. While you are participating in this program you may get child care assistance.  


Diversionary Work Program (DWP):

The Divisionary Work Program is a 4 month Program for low income families that is very work- driven. The main goal while on this program is to help parents quickly gain employment and to stabilize their income in order to support themselves and their families. This program entails working with employment services and parents will be required to do various things such as: attend workshops, job search and resume writing. If parents do not meet program expectations their benefits may stop. While you are participating in this program you may get child care assistance.


General Assistance (GA):

The general assistance program provides cash benefits for single adults (ages 18 to 64) that cannot support themselves. This program is for those that do not qualify for federal categorical assistance but meet the State General Assistance requirements. The GA program provides monthly cash grants which can include emergency payments. Participants must have lived in Minnesota for at least 30 days, be unable to work for at least 45 days, have little to no income or other resources, have no Social Security Income (SSI), and not have a minor, dependent child living in the household.


Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA):

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) provides cash assistance to help adults who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pay for their basic needs.


Housing Support (Formerly GRH)

The Housing Support program pays for room and board for seniors and adults with disabilities who have low incomes. The program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.


Refugee Cash Assistance:

RCA is available for immigrants’ first eight months in the United States and assists them in the transition to life in the United States. Refugees are defined by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Applicants must be 18 or older, or married couples with children, or Pregnant women and their spouses, until they meet eligibility requirements for the MFIP program, or Adults who are disabled or older than 65 that are not yet found eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI).  Participants who are disabled or 65 years or older will be required to apply for Supplemental Security Income. Refugee services include: resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.