Foster Care Provider Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following contains general information foster parents need to know and some resources for current licensed homes.


Even though you are licensed, this does not mean you will get a placement. Once you obtain a license, your name is added to an email distribution list. Once a child comes into care and a placement becomes necessary, we will send you the details via e-mail.  If the need is immediate you can expect a phone call from one of our licensors. You have the right to say no to any placement.

Mandated reporting

As a licensed foster care provider, you are a mandated reporter. This means that if you suspect abuse or observe marks on any children in your care you must call Intake at 952-361-1600, ask for Child Protection, and make the report of what you saw and/or heard. For more information about making a report visit the Child Protection page. If you suspect abuse of an vulnerable adult call the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center toll-free number at 844-880-1574.

Placement Records

Once you get a placement, you need to keep a record of the child(ren) in your home. You should have their names, date of birth, when they came into your home, when they left your home, any incident (like bumps and bruises you want to document), and medical appointments. You can keep a notebook with the information or you can use the Placement Records for Foster Child form.

Training Records

Foster Care providers are required to have a minimum of 12 hours of training each year to maintain their license. Carver County Foster Care Licensing will share training resources as they come available. Under the training page there are several online courses people can take. As a foster parent you are responsible to keep track of all your trainings. To help keep track of your trainings there are a couple of forms you can chose to fill out (Mandated Training log, Mandated and Preservice Training Log, or Blank Training Log) or you can use your own method.

Submitting receipts for reimbursement for clothes

When children are placed with you, a placing worker must give you prior approval to purchase clothes for the child(ren). The placing worker will give you a maximum dollar amount you can use. When you buy the clothing (which does not include diapers, formula, or car seats) it is important to document each receipt with the initials of the child next to every item purchased for them. You can get separate receipts for each child if you have more than one child so you can write the child’s name on top of the receipt instead of next to every item.   

Traveling Out of State

If you are traveling outside of the State, you must inform the placing worker. In Carver County, if the child is involved in a Court process, the Court must issue a Court Order that gives permission to the provider to travel over state lines with the child.  

Mileage For Appointments

Every foster child qualifies for Medical Assistance. Because foster children have Medical Assistance, you can get reimbursed for your mileage to and from medical and mental health services so long as it is prior approved. The process for getting prior approval is outlined on the SmartLink Transit website.  

Finding an MA Provider

Sometimes it's hard to find a dental or medical provider for a foster child. Minnesota Department of Human Services has a Minnesota Health Care Provider directory. By clicking here you will be directed to the website so that you can find a provider in your area.

Resources for kids in your care:


PREPadventure is a 7 week summer therapeutic program for boys and girls 8-14 years old. The program has an activity component that provides youth with opportunities to learn and practice positive social skills and work on emotional regulation.  The program morning is structured for small group reflection focusing on pro-social behaviors and emotional regulation.  Afternoons in the program provide social and recreational programming to practice skills.  All children will be required to have a mental health diagnosis and treatment plan to participate in the program. 

The program runs Monday through Thursday from 9:30am to 2:30pm from beginning of June to the beginning of August.  There is NO PREP programming the week of July 4th. Deadline for registration for the program is usually mid/end of April. Case managers make referrals.

Summer Youth Program

It's a program that helps kids from 14-24 find a job for the summer. Go to the CareerForce in Chaska under Youth to get more information. Applications are usually available the beginning of March and the deadline is usually the end of April. For 2017 the deadline has passed.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer