Victim Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Minnesota Statute 611A outlines the rights of crime victims.

A list of resources for victim services to include: counseling services, restraining orders, victim services, VINE and other services.

Rights and Services for all Crime Victims   

  1. You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime.  This assistance does not cover property losses.  For application and information, call (651) 215-1557 or outside the Twin Cities area, call 1-888-622-8799.  TDD: (651) 205-4827.   
  2. You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. Complete this form and submit to Carver County Sheriff's Office. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.   
  3. You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, call the Crime Victims Ombudsman's Office at (651) 282-6258, 1-800-247-0390, or TDD: (613) 297-2100.

Victims of Domestic Assault   

  1. You can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint.   
  2. You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order for Protection from domestic abuse.  The order could include the following:
        a.    An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
        b.    An order directing the abuser to leave your household;
        c.    An order preventing the abuser from entering your home, school, business, or place of employment;
        d.    An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation with your minor child or children;
        e.    An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser has a court order to do so.   
  3. You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.