Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I get a copy of a report?

We do not automatically mail out copies of reports. No reports are faxed. Copies of accident, arrest and other incident reports handled by the Sheriff's Office are available for release, subject to the MN Government Data Practices Act (MN Statute 13.01). To receive a copy of a report, contact the records unit at (952) 361-1105; in person at the Sheriff's Office Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; or send a written request to 606 East Fourth Street, Chaska, MN 55318. There is a charge of $.25 per page for accident reports (usually 4 pages).  All other reports are $.25 for the initial report and $.25 for each additional page.  Photo fees vary per size.  Checks should be made payable to Carver County.

What kind of information cannot be released?

Any report marked "CONFIDENTIAL", any juvenile reports and/or juvenile names, Social Services reports, anything involving vulnerable adults, victims' names and any report currently under investigation, or where the release of said report might jeopardize the safety and welfare of the people involved.

I need a copy of my accident report for my insurance company.

You are paying your insurance company in premiums to take care of you when you have an accident. Ask them to send a request to our office, along with a check payable to Carver County for $.25 per page (accident reports are usually 4 pages).

I disagree with what the officer wrote in his report regarding my complaint. What do I do now?

You need to discuss it with the officer involved in your case. Most often, an officer will give you a business card with their voice mail number and your incident number (ICR) on it. If you need further assistance, please call 952-361-1212 to speak to the officer. If you are still dissatisfied after speaking to the officer, please call the Lieutenant of Patrol Services at (952) 361-1212.

Where do I go to get a firearm application and permit?

Firearm Applications are found on the State of MN BCA website; Permit to Carry, Permit to Purchase/Transfer.

All Permit to Carry applications are processed at the Sheriff's Office if you are a resident of Carver County. There is a $75.00 fee.  Please refer to the MN BCA website for frequently asked questions.  Permit to Carry applications must be brought to the Sheriff's Office by the applicant, with a valid driver's license, and completed approved training certification. The permit is valid for five years.

The City of Chaska Police Department is responsible for processing Chaska residents applications to purchase/transfer.

I have called and left several messages with the officer and he hasn't gotten back to me. What do I do?

You need to speak to the Lieutenant of Patrol Services at (952) 361-1212.

How do I get a copy of my driving record?

The Sheriff's Office does not provide driving records. To obtain your driving record, you must contact the MN Dept of MV, or 651-284-2000.

 I need a records check for adoption/passport/visa.

Simply mail or bring your forms to our receptionist. We offer this service free of charge to Carver County residents. A notary is also available free of charge to Carver County residents, if required.

Where can I get information on mortgage foreclosures?

Contact our Civil Division by calling (952) 361-1267 or visit the Civil Unit.

How do I have papers served?

Contact our Civil Division by calling (952) 361-1267.

Where can I get information on restraining orders, orders for protection, garnishment of wages or unlawful detainers?

The Civil Division serves these papers but the process is initiated through Court Administration (952) 361-1420.

Where can I get information about road restrictions?

Contact Carver County Public Works at (952) 361-1365.

I received a ticket. Can I mail in my fine? How do I find out how much my fine is? Where do I go to pay for my ticket?

All these questions can be answered by contacting the MN Court Payment Center at (651) 281-3219 (if calling from 612, 651, 763, or 952 area codes) or (800) 657-3611, if calling from all other area codes. The Sheriff's Office is unable accept a payment for a citation. Payments for citations are paid at the MN Court Payment Center via phone, web, or mail. For more information about how to submit your payment to the MN Court Payment Center, go to

Where do I go to post bail or satisfy a warrant?

You need to report to the Jail Division in the Justice Center (952) 361-1278

My car was towed by your agency. How do I get it back?

As long as your car has been cleared for release, you simply need to go to the towing company and show your driver's license, proof of ownership, and proof of insurance. You do not need a signed release from our Office.

Where do I go to have my fingerprints taken?

Fingerprinting is done in the Jail at the Justice Center. You need to schedule an appointment by calling (952) 361-1145.   This is offered free of charge to Carver County residents.  If you are not a resident, there is a $15.00 fee.

I've been receiving hang-up or harassing phone calls. How do I trace a phone call?

Everyone has the capability to trace a call. Calls can be traced by using *57 after a nuisance call has been received; however, the procedure may vary between phone service carriers. Sprint/United Telephone customers: Once a call has been traced, you should contact Sprint/United Telephone at 1-800-788-3600 to report the date and the time the call was received. Sprint/United will then send further information to you. You should then contact our dispatch center at (952) 361-1231 to report the crime. At that time, the law enforcement officer will inform you of the trace procedure. Only law enforcement has access to the calls traced and a report has to be documented. Once the report has been taken, it will be forwarded to the Criminal Investigation Division for follow up. US West customers: Once a call has been traced, the customer should contact GTE at 1-800-426-7621 to report the date and the time the call was received. GTE will send further information to the customer. The customer should then contact our dispatch center to report the crime. Vista customers: Once the call has been traced, the customer should contact Vista at (952) 435-4739 to report the date and the time the call was received. Vista will send further information to the customer. The customer should then contact our dispatch center to report the crime.

Some of my property was taken as evidence. How do I get it back?

If you had property taken as evidence as a result of a violation or crime, retrieval of that property cannot be obtained until a court disposition has taken place. Once the court disposition has taken place, contact the Evidence/Property Room Technician at (952) 361-1130 to make an appointment to pick up the item(s). At that time, you will be notified as to what you will need to provide as documentation for retrieval.

What companies provide medical transportation services in Carver County?

Allina Medical Transportation
St. Francis Regional Medical Center
Ridgeview Hospital

How do I reserve the speed trailer?

The speed trailer is available for the communities and townships to use.
Click here for more information on the speed trailer.

I have lost my wallet/purse with my driver's license and all of my credit cards.  What do I do now?

If you have lost your wallet or purse, you may contact the Sheriff's Office via the non-emergency telephone number (952) 361-1231 to report your missing items.  A deputy may be dispatched to your location to take a report.  If you have lost a credit/debit card, you may want to contact your financial institution to prevent any unauthorized use of your cards.

How do I report an unsafe driver I saw on a state highway this afternoon?

If the incident is an emergency or presently occurring, dial 911.  Otherwise, you may report the incident to dispatch via the non-emergency telephone number (952) 361-1231. 

Can you inspect the child safety seat I just installed to make sure I installed it properly?

Carver County Public Health has trained staff who can inspect child safety seats and help with installation.  Contact Carver County Public Health at (952) 361-1329 for an appointment.  If you live in Chaska you can contact the Chaska Police Department at (952) 448-4200. If you live in Chanhassen you can contact the Chanhassen City Hall at (952) 227-1610.  You may also contact your local Fire Department. If your organization would like to sponsor a clinic event for a larger group, please contact the Sergeant of Support Services (952) 361-1212.