Dakota Rail Regional Trail
Sign up for Dakota Regional Trail Development updates
CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY CONTINUES ON THE DAKOTA RAIL REGIONAL TRAIL
BETWEEN MAYER AND NEW GERMANY MAY 20 - 24TH
New!! - Phase II Construction - Grand Opening and Ceremony - June 1st at the New Germany Trailhead Facility
The Dakota Rail Regional is open from Hidden Xing Road in Mayer east to the Hennepin County line. In Hennepin County the trail continues another 13 miles, through St. Bonifacius, along Lake Minnetonka and ends in Wayzata, this portion of trail is operated by Three Rivers Park District.
Winter Trail Conditions:
Carver County Parks Department does not maintain the trail corridor during the winter months (Dec.-March) due to unworkable conditions.
Accessing the Trail & Parking:
When using the Dakota Rail Regional Trail please remember to park at an identified trailhead facility. Trailhead parking is located in Mayer and St. Bonifacius. A trailhead facility will be complete in New Germany in spring of 2013.
- New Germany - Cty Rd 30 and Cty Rd 33 (east side) - Carver Cty
- Mayer - Hwy 25 and Cty Rd 30 (west side) - Carver Cty
- St Bonifacius - Kennedy Memorial Dr. and Bell St - Hennepin Cty
General Trail Information:
- The Dakota Rail Regional Trail is a 44 mile former railroad corridor in the counties of Hennepin, Carver, and McLeod. A portion of the trail in Hennepin County at the City of Wayzata to the City of St. Bonifacius was constructed in 2009.
- In Carver County, the Dakota Rail Regional Trail is 12.5 miles in length extending from the east Carver/Hennepin county line near Lake Waconia to the Carver/McLeod county line near the City of New Germany.
- Phase 1 construction of the Dakota Rail Regional Trail in Carver County took place in 2010, constructing 7 miles of paved trail from the Hennepin County Line east to hidden Xing Rd in Mayer.
- Phase 2 construction took place in 2012, paving an additional 5.5 miles of trail from Hidden Xing Road in Mayer, west to the Carver/McLeod County line, just west of New Germany.
- Approved uses for the trail include walking/hiking, biking, running, dog walking (on 6' leash) inline skating and roller skiing.
Resident Letter of Support
Trail Map - for Hennepin County Portion - Three Rivers Park District
Trail Map (PDF) for Carver County portion - Carver County Parks
Dakota Rail Regional Trail Master Plan (22 MB)
For additional information or questions please contact the Carver County Parks Department at 952-466-5250.