600 East 4th Street • Chaska, MN 55318 • (952) 361-1500      
Home > County GovernmentDepartments/DivisionsCommunity Social ServicesSenior Services > Services for Seniors in Carver County

Services for Seniors in Carver County

Click the links below to find information about a specific service.

Adult Day Centers

Supportive services for older adults and others with special needs provided in a safe, comfortable group setting. Services include goal-oriented activities, personal care assistance, health monitoring, exercise, transportation and nutritious lunch.

In the area:

Contact the Minnesota Adult Day Services Association for additional program information.  www.madsa.org

Return to the top

Adult Learning

Carver County Extension Services - 952-466-5300

Historical Society - 952-442-4234

Perspectives, Inc. - 952-926-9847, Peer counseling, rural outreach, classes.

School Districts sponsor community education classes and programs designed to promote life-long learning.

Offers 55-Alive Defensive Driving Classes

  • Chaska - 952-556-6200
  • Norwood/Young America - 952-467-7390
  • Waconia - 952-442-0610
  • Watertown – 952-955-0280
  • Carver County Library System   952-448-9395

Return to the top


Office of Ombudsmen for Long-Term Care - 651-431-2555 (Metro) or toll free 1-800-657-3591
Investigates concerns for consumers relating to hospitals, nursing homes, housing with
services and home care agencies. 

Office of the Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities - 651-757-1800, 1-800-657-3506

Metropolitan Center for Independent Living - 651-646-8342   www.mcil-mn.org

MN Office of Health Facilities Complaints - 651-201-4201, 1-800-369-7994
Consumer protection in health care facilities.

MN Senior Federation - 651-645-0261, 877-645-0261   www.mnseniors.org
Statewide, non-profit organization of seniors.  Active in legislative matters.

American Association for Retired Persons - 952-858-9040 or toll free1-866-554-5381  www.aarp.org
Advocacy and support for seniors/senior issues. 

Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging - 651-641-8612 www.tcaging.org
Addresses needs of older adults on a regional level.

Carver County Victims of Sexual Assault - 952-448-5425
Provides services to survivors of sexual violence, their families, and friends; 24-hour phone counseling, advocacy, support groups, community education and free legal clinic.

Southern Valley Alliance for Battered Women - 952-873-4214 (will accept collect calls)
Support groups, criminal justice advocates, community education, youth advocacy, legal advocacy, visitation center.

The Family Support Network - 952-442-2191 ext. 5320
For ongoing, confidential peer support.

Carver County Sheriff's Office - 952-361-1231

Domestic Violence Crisis Line - 866-223-1111 (toll-free)

Return to the top

Assessment/Coordination of Service

Long Term Care Consultation - 952-442-7671
County Social Workers/Nurse arrange home visits with interested individuals to assess needs, assist in arranging for services, and discussing payment options for home and community-based services.  It can also help determine if nursing facility placement is needed.

Eldercare Partners - 651-234-2262  www.eldercarepartners.org
Private pay assessment and service coordination.

Return to the top

Caregiver Support

Caregiver support for those caring for family members or close friends with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia meets the last Tuesday of the month at The Lighthouse in Waconia, 6:00-7:00 p.m. This group is led by Sue Hart, former RN, and caregiver support facilitator. Affiliated with the Alzheimer's Association and sponsored by SAFER. Contact 952-856-4703 for further details.

Catholic Charities - 651-215-2246  http://www.cctwincities.org/page.aspx?pid=533
Caregiver Support and Respite Services 

Talheim 952-474-4742 (Gayleen S.)
Information and Support for Caregivers 1st Tuesday of the month at 1:00 p.m.

Alzheimer’s Association - 952-830-0512; 1-800-232-0851 www.alz.org/mnnd
Provides support and information regarding care for people with Alzheimer’s disease and related conditions

Minnesota Board on Aging Website - Toll free at 1-800-882-6262 www.mnaging.org
Click on “caregiver.” Caregiver resources and support information.

www.minnesotahelp.info - Comprehensive information on many topics.

Ridgeview Medical Center - 952-442-2191, Ext. 6111
Call for current support groups:
- Encore/Emerald Crest
- Memory Loss Caregivers Support - 3rd Monday of the month - 952-867-7521, 952-442-7600
- Location: Encore Adult Day Services

Veterans Caregiver Support Line - 1-855-260-3274 (toll-free)  www.caregiver.va.gov
Caregiver Support Line will be open Mon-Fri 8AM to 11PM and Saturday 10:30AM to 6PM (Eastern time)
The support line will serve as a primary resource/referral center to assist caregivers, veterans and others seeking caregiver information to help in the care of our nation's veterans.

Return to the top


Carver County Workforce Service Center - 952-361-1711
Resources to help find a job.

Senior Companion 651-310-9447 www.mnseniorcorps.org

RSVP Outreach 952-607-9223 www.voamn.org
Retired and senior volunteer program.

Return to the top

Financial Resources

Apply at Carver County Community Social Services for the following:
Medical Assistance, MN Supplemental Assistance, Food Stamps: 952-361-1600

CAP Agency Energy Assistance - 952-496-2125   CAP Weatherization - 952-496-2125

Services for Residents of Carver County:

  • Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R)
  • Crisis Nursery: The 24-Hour help line is 612-839-5101
  • Emergency Services: Provides grants and no-interest loans to people in emergency situations for expenses such as prescriptions, automobile fuel and car repairs.
  • Energy Assistance Programs (EAP): Provides grants to income-eligible renters and homeowners to help pay heating bills.
  • Family Assets for Independence in Minnesota (FAIM):  Provides families with money-saving incentives and support for money management and financial planning.
  • Family Homeless Prevention: Helps families avoid eviction and offers assistance to those who are seeking affordable emergency, temporary or permanent housing.
  • Food Shelf
  • Getting There: Helps families who are economically disadvantaged received low-interest loans to buy and maintain safe, reliable and affordable cars.
  • Head Start: Offers a family-based preschool program to children ages 3-5
  • Meals on Wheels: Offers weekday delivery of nutritious noon meals to homebound adults age 60 and older.
  • Senior Dining: Offers nutritionally balanced hot noon meals to adults age 60 and older at dining sites.
  • Thrift Shops: Offers the general public high-quality, gently used clothing and small household appliances for sale at reasonable prices in a department store atmosphere.  The Thrift shop is located at 712 Canterbury Rd S. in Shakopee and is open 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday (952-402-9899).
  • Transitional Housing: Provides families experiencing homelessness and individuals with special needs, safe and affordable housing for up to two years.
  • Weatherization: Provides income-eligible homeowners weatherization services to reduce heating and cooling costs.
  • WIC (Woman, Infants, and Children): Provides nutrition information and supplemental food vouchers to pregnant, nursing or postpartum woman and to families with infants and children under age five.

Carver County CDA (Subsidized Housing) - 952-448-7715   http://www.carvercda.org

Carver County Veteran's Services - 952-442-2323
Link Vet 1-888-546-5838 – provides transportation to Minneapolis VA Medical Center

Lifeline/Link-Up - 651-297-3375

Social Security, Supplemental Security Income and Medicare - 1-866-964-7349

Telephone Assistance Plan - 1-800-657-3838
Lower cost monthly phone rates for elderly with limited incomes.

PROP (People Reaching Out to People) Thrift Shop (Chanhassen residents only)
(Used clothing/household) 952-937-9120

Once Again Shop in Waconia -T, Th, Sat. 9:00-12:00 a.m.
Located at the Waconia American Legion Building on Olive St. in Waconia

CAP Thrift Shop - 952-402-9878 M, Sat. 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

Love Inc. Thrift Store - 952-448-3261 http://loveincecc.org

Blessed Bee Thrift Store - 952-448-7794

Return to the top

Health and Wellness


Alcoholics Anonymous - 952-922-0880 www.aaminneapolis.org
Local listings for A.A. and Alanon groups.

Carver County Chemical Dependency Services - 952-361-1600

Carver County Community Health Services - 952-361-1329
Many programs and services available to promote health and wellness for all Carver County residents. Call for specific information.

Al-Anon - 952-920-3961
Resources and support for those affected by someone else's drinking.

Gamblers Hotline - 1-888-GA-HELPS

Narcotics Anonymous - 1-877-767-7676   www.na.org


First Street Center - 952-442-4437 Counseling and Support Groups

Mental Health Crisis Line - 952-442-7601

Community Support Program - 952-442-4437
Services for adults with serious and persistent mental illness.


MN State Services for Blind & Visually Handicapped - 651-642-0500 or toll free 1-800-652-9000

Vision Loss Resources - 612-871-2222  In-home assessment/resources.

Telephone Equipment Distribution Program (TED) - 1-800-657-3663
Free and low cost adaptive telephone equipment.

MN Department of Human Services Info Center - 651-431-2000 www.dhs.state.mn.us Information and resources for people with hearing loss.

Deaf Blind Services of MN - 612-362-8454

MN Relay Service - 1-800-627-3529
(TTY or Voice Communication System for deaf/hard of hearing)

Return to the top

Home Care (Medical)

Home Health Care Services cover a broad range of services including: skilled professional and paraprofessional services (nursing and rehabilitation therapies), high-tech pharmacy services provided and/or delivered to your home.  In order to be covered by health insurance, most services must be ordered by your physician and must be medically necessary to maintain or improve your health condition.  Generally, home health services are initiated when someone is no longer able to care for him/herself due to recent changes in their health status.  Often a physician, nurse, hospital discharge planner, or case manager suggests obtaining professional help at home to assist with your health care needs.  Medical home health care services are generally provided on a visit basis rather than an hourly basis.

Assistance in choosing the right home health care agency can be found at:

www.mnaging.org (Senior Linkage Line) 1-800-333-2433

Return to the top

Home Health Services

ACE Resources - 952-368-0023

Alliance Home Care - 952-882-1030

Crystal Care - 612-861-4272

Forever Life Home Healthcare - 952-361-3052

International Quality Homecare - 952-758-4513

Prairie River Home Care - 1-800-624-9024; 320-587-5162

Ridgeview Home Support Services (private pay only) - 952-442-6032

Right at Home (Homemaker/Companion) - 763-559-9733 (Plymouth)
952-854-6122 (Bloomington)

Intrepid USA - 763-544-0315

For additional home care services: www.mnhomecare.org

Return to the top

Home Maintenance Services

Chore ServiceCAP Agency 952-402-9835 – Terry Hassen
Yard work, snow removal, seasonal cleanup, small repairs, lawn mowing. Must be 60 years or older.

Fix Up Fund - Call David King 612-599-1863 for more details and an application.

Energy Assistance - CAP Agency - 952-496-2125

CDA - Housing Redevelopment Authority - 952-448-7715   http://www.carvercda.org
Different programs to provide home improvements.

MHFA Rehabilitation Loan Program
For households with a gross annual income of less than $18,000 - up to $20,000 maximum loan amount to benefit someone with a disability, 0% fixed rate, maximum loan term 30 years...no monthly payments. Call Brenda at 952-448-7715 for details.

Weatherization Program - CAP Agency - 952-496-2125
Provides energy-related improvements.

Paint-a-Thon – Annual Outreach Service 612-276-1759
Volunteer teams paint exteriors of homes for low income senior citizens. Must apply January through April. Painting is done in August.

Return to the top


Housing Link - 612-522-2500 www.housinglink.org
Information regarding accessible rental units in the Metro area.

Senior Housing Directory - 612-331-4063 (Directory of Senior Housing) http://www.careoptionsnetwork.org/info/directory/  

Elderly Subsidized Housing, Carver Co. Housing and Redevelopment Authority - 952-448-7715

Subsidized Rental Apartments: Reduced monthly rent for financially eligible seniors

  • Deutschland Apartments, New Germany 507-451-8524
  • Evergreen Apartments, Waconia 952-442-5276
  • Hillside Apartments, Watertown 507-345-1290
  • Hilltop Apartments, Watertown 952-955-1962
  • Lakeside Villa, Cologne 612-702-1472
  • Maplecrest, Waconia 952-442-2890
  • Mayer Elderly Apartments, Mayer 952-955-1962
  • Old City Hall Apartments, Waconia - David Delaney 952-471-0111
  • Peace Villa Apartments, Norwood 952-467-3692
  • Poplar Ridge Apartments, Norwood Young America 952-368-4682  hornet.com
  • Riverside Apartments, Watertown 507-345-1290
  • Spruce Apartments, Waconia 952-448-7715
  • Talheim, Chaska 952-361-0310 or 952-448-5022
  • Waybury at Chaska 952-448-4834

Market Rate Apartments

  • Crossings at Town Centre, Waconia 952-442-8232
  • Centennial Hills, Chanhassen 952-474-4060
  • Elim Meadows, Watertown 952-955-3792
  • Hamburg Community Housing 952-448-7715 CDA
  • Oak Grove Senior Apartments, Norwood 952-373-2200
  • River Gables, Chaska 952-448-9201
  • *SummerWood of Chanhassen 952-294-5500
  • *Westview Acres,Waconia 952-442-5459

*Indicates sites with assisted living services also

HOUSING WITH SERVICES (Assisted Living & Adult Foster Care):

  • Auburn Courts, Chaska 952-448-9303
  • Auburn Meadows, Waconia 952-442-6600
  • Hidden Creek Assisted Living, Chaska 952-361-9338
  • Emerald Crest of Victoria, Victoria 952-908-2215
  • The Harbor, Norwood Young America 952-467-3692
  • Lighthouse at Waconia 952-442-1261
  • Summerwood of Chanhassen 952-294-5500
  • Westview Acres Assisted Living, Waconia 952-442-5459
  • Westwood Place, Watertown 952-955-1399
  • Victoria Care Center 952-443-2735

For information about available family foster care in Carver County contact:
Carver County Community Social Services 952-361-1600

Return to the top

Informational and Referral

Senior LinkAge Line - 1-800-333-2433
Telephone information and assistance services which can help older adults and their families find community services.

Disability Linkage Line - 1-866-333-2466
Information, referral, and assistance network for individuals of all ages.

MinnesotaHelp.info  www.minnesotahelp.info
An online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota identify resources.

United Way 211 First Call For Help - 211  651-291-0211, 1-800-543-7709
General information about services in Minnesota.

Minnesota Board on Aging - 1-800-882-6262, 651-431-2500   www.mnaging.org
Edition of Health Care Choices available online.

Return to the top

Legal Services

Minnesota Legal Services  www.mnlegalservices.org  651-228-9105 (Southern Minnesota Legal Services 651-222-4731), 651-222-5863
Free legal information/advice for people 60+ who meet income guidelines
(housing, public benefits, family law, consumer matters).

Medical Supplies/Equipment

Anodyne, Inc. - 952-546-5334

Emergency Telephone Alert System
Lifeline Systems: 1-800-368-2925
WH Security Medical Alert: 1-800-943-2667, 763-477-3000

Goodwill Easter Seals – Loan or donate medical equipment. 651-379-5800

Priced Right Medical - 507-228-8100 or toll free 1-800-955-3361

Ridgeview Home Medical Equipment - 952-442-2283

Return to the top

Nursing Facilities

Auburn Manor, Chaska 952-448-9303

Elim Home Nursing, Watertown 952-955-2691

Auburn Home of Waconia 952-442-2546

Waconia Good Samaritan Center, Waconia 952-442-5111

For other skilled nursing facilities outside of Carver County, call Senior Linkage Line at 1-800-333-2433

Return to the top


Meals on Wheels

  • CAP Agency 952-496-2125 (serving Scott, Carver & Dakota counties)
  • Elim Home 952-955-2691
  • Mom’s Meals 866-204-6667   www.momsmeals.com
    Mom's fresh meals delivered to your door.

Senior Dining

  • Chanhassen 952-227-1127
  • Chaska 952-448-9303 x1132
  • Watertown 952-955-3793

Group meals and socializing at a central location. Call weekday mornings or leave a message. All sites operate Monday through Friday; no holidays, no weekends.


Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors 651-209-7964
Free food for seniors who meet income guidelines. Call for information.
Love Inc. free food – http://loveincecc.org/

Senior Fare For All - 952-960-9700 www.fareforall.org
Exchange two hours of volunteer time for reduced prices on groceries.

Food Shelves

  • CAP Agency (Shakopee) (M-F 8:00am to 5:00pm) 952-496-2125
  • Chaska (9:00am to 11:00am) 952-960-0142
  • Norwood Young America (Tues. 12:30pm- 4:30pm) 952-467-1870
  • Waconia (Mon & Fri. 9am-12pm) (T & Th 4pm-7pm) (Wed.- closed) 952-442-3878
  • Watertown (Mon. 6pm-8pm) (Tues & Fri. 9am-12pm) 952-955-1980

Return to the top


  • Carver County Park Systems 952-466-5200
  • Carver Senior Center 952-448-5353
  • Chaska Community Center 952-448-5633
  • Chanhassen Senior Center 952-227-1125
  • Chaska Senior Center 952-448-9303 ext. 226
  • Minnesota Landscape Arboretum 952-443-1400
  • Safari Island Community Center - Waconia 952-442-0695
  • Southshore Senior Center 952-474-7635
  • Waconia Senior Center (American Legion) 952-442-5340
  • Watertown Senior Center 952-955-2535


SmartLink - 952-496-8341
Call Monday - Friday 7am to 4pm. Wheelchair accessible bus service is available to seniors for adult day care, senior dining, local and metro shopping, senior centers, medical appointments and special events.

Southwest Metro Transit Dial-A-Ride - 952-949-2287
Also has set bus routes in Chanhassen and Chaska and service to downtown Minneapolis, the airport, Southdale and Mall of America.

Metro Mobility - 651-602-1111
Door-to-door service. Needs certification prior to using service. Transportation for disabled persons. Service in Carver County only for people living in Chaska and Chanhassen.

Waters Edge Transportation - 952-442-7022 – Service Area – All of Carver County, some areas of Scott County.

VA Transportation - 952-442-2323 Provides transportation to Mpls VA Medical Center

Carver County Veterans Services Transportation - 952-442-2323

MNET 1-866-467-1724
MA transportation to/from doctor appointments for Twin City Metro counties (not Carver County or Scott County)

Return to the top


CAP Agency - 952-496-2125
A variety of opportunities.

Tax Assistance - 952-448-9395
Volunteers are trained to provide tax preparation services for seniors. Carver County Library.

District 112 Community Education - 952-556-6100

Retired and Senior Volunteer Program - (R.S.V.P.) 952-607-9223  www.voamn.org
Volunteer opportunities for members who are 55 or older.

Senior Companions - 651-310-9440

Return to the top